The Río Puelo watershed and Cochamó were declared Zona de Interés Turístico Nacional (National Touristic Zones of Interest) by Chile's national tourism service (SERNATUR) in 2007. Currently, the community and organizations of Puelo are working to update this declaration so as to give special conditions to protect tourism attractions and require conservation measures and integrated planning.
One only needs to visit the Cochamó and Puelo area to understand its great beauty and value, but for those who have not yet had an opportunity to visit here are 10 reasons to visit and protect the watershed of Puelo.
1. Culture and traditions rooted in Patagonia. Drinking a good mate tea, dancing chamamé, cooking in a wood-fired stove and the warmth of the people all make Cochamó a magical place.
2. Surrounded by 6 Protected Wilderness Areas and 5 Private Protected Areas, the pristine landscapes of Puelo are conserved, with great biodiversity and an environment free from contamination.
3. The steep slopes with granite walls make it a mandatory stop for climbing enthusiasts.
4. Recreational, catch-and-release fishing has one of the longest seasons in Chile here: from September to May.
5. The main attraction is definitely the beauty of its natural landscape, with clear-blue lakes, rivers, waterfalls, wetlands and pristine forests.
6. There is a great variety of accommodations available, from cabins to hotels. In Puelo, most of the places to eat and sleep are local, family-owned businesses, making it an even more attractive destination.
7. Close to airports and highways. Puelo is a natural oasis in the middle of sparsely-populated towns and its proximity to the city of Puerto Montt makes it easy for tourists to get there.
8. Tourist attractions ready to go: Cochamó valley, international entry to El Bolsón, Tagua Tagua Park, traditional festivals, trekking trails and more!
9. You can be one of the lucky ones who come face-to-face with threatened species of flora and fauna such as the condor, huemul, alerce and even Darwin’s frog or huillines!
10. The natural beauty never stops surprising you!
These are just 10 of many reasons to protect and visit the comuna of Cochamó and Puelo.
We do not believe in the exploitation of the natural resources of Puelo, we believe in the respect and care of its landscape for the responsible development and long-term welfare of the local communities.
For more information about how to support the protection of Puelo, visit the website of Puelo Patagonia.